Updated: Nov 9, 2020
Before that question can be answered we need to understand exactly what architects do because there are so many misconceptions such as architects cost a fortune. This is simply not true! An architect is more likely to save you money and here is how:
1. As registered professionals with the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP), architects are required to obtain Continued Professional Development (CPD) points every year and renew their membership in 5-year cycles. This mean that architects are continuously evolving and updating their design knowledge to provide consumers with better services and up to date information on the latest building trends.
2. As members of the built environment architects generally have good all-round construction knowledge. As a result of this architects can often come up with multiple solutions on how to construct various building details in more economical, and usually more beautiful, ways.
3. Architects are licensed professionals who can ensure your buildings are built compliantly the first time to limit the amount of work that needs to be redone. For instance, an architect who is regularly inspecting a construction site is more likely to pick up errors prior to completion.
4. Having day to day exposure to buildings architects have a good idea of building costs and can assist clients to set up and adhere to a budget.
5. Architects understand building assembly which translates to understanding how long things take to construct. Therefore, architects can assist clients with realistic construction timeframes which becomes a major factor when clients are financing their construction projects.
6. Lastly, architects have spent years mastering how to tie a design and building together. There are no happy coincidences. Architects make design choices and often try multiple iterations before they reach an end product. Thus, by using an architect you are likely to receive a unique and personalised design which in itself is priceless.
Image: Designed Space
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere.” Albert Einstein
So, to answer the question of, “do I need an architect?”
- If you are constructing a new building or altering an existing building in the Republic of South Africa, then the answer is YES.
- If you are updating or modernising your forever home and you want a timeless and elegant design, then the answer is YES.
- If you want to create a space that captures your personality and values, then the answer is YES.
- If you want a well thought out design concept that takes into account your timeframes, budget, and how to communicate that idea to a builder, then the answer is YES you need an Architect!